Are you worried about money?


Money issues can affect anyone, whether you’re in employment or receiving benefits. If you're having difficulties, we’re here to help.

If you’re having difficulty paying your rent or your circumstances change, please get in touch with us as soon as possible, as we can help. If you can’t find the information you’re looking for in the links below, or need further assistance, please talk to your Housing Officer who can help you get the support you need.

  • WRHA Customer Support Fund

    We've recently launched a new Customer Support Fund to help our customers who have a specific short-term need which they cannot afford and where there is no other help available.

    The fund has been split into three categories:

    • Emergency Support Fund
    • New Home Tenancy Support
    • Opportunity Fund

    Find out more
    Residents and shared owners can apply for funds.
    All applications are subject to a further assessment by phone and funds being available.

  • How else can we help?

    Your housing officer can:

    • provide guidance to help you reduce your debts and manage your money
    • make sure that you get in touch with the right people to help you
    • refer you to free support services that can give you individual, specialised support.

    It's important to get any money and debt issues under control as soon as possible, if you’d like to speak to us about accessing support, please get in touch.

  • Free support services

    There are also lots of free services available online and in your community.

    You’ll find lots of links below to support agencies, tools and information to help you manage your money and make sure you’re receiving all the benefits you’re entitled to.


The MoneyHelper website is a great place to start to find out what benefits and support you coudl be entitled to:

  • New government sponsored MoneyHelper website

    MoneyHelper is a free, government sponsored service that supports people in financial difficulty to get access to free debt advice.

    Their website is full of information about benefits and managing debts - with easy to use tools and calculators.

    And click on the 'Talk to us live' button to speak to an advisor - by phone, webchat or WhatsApp.

    Find out more on their website:

Support services in Warwickshire and Solihull

  • Household Support Fund - to 31 March 2024

    The Household Support Fund (HSF) provides financial support to help vulnerable households who can't pay for food or energy and have no other access to funds.

    How to apply for the fund

    • The fund is available until 31 March 2024.
    • Each council has their own fund and eligibility criteria.
    • You can find out more about how to apply on their websites.


    The fund is distributed by Warwickshire County Council's Local Welfare Scheme. You can find out more at: or call them on 0800 408 1448.


    The fund is administered by Act on Energy on behalf of Solihull Metropolitan Borough Council. Find out more and apply at:

  • P3 charity – support and advice hubs in Warwickshire

    The P3 Charity offer free advice and support services, to help adults and families in Warwickshire gain, manage and maintain accommodation.

    They have three support centres, known as Navigator hubs, in: Nuneaton, Stratford-upon-Avon and Rugby.

    Warwickshire's Navigator hubs are available to anyone in the community who needs advice or support, as well as helping people access other services to improve their situation or circumstances.

    As well as supporting with housing issues, P3 can also help with issues relating to:

    • education
    • employment
    • sexual health
    • relationships
    • finances, benefits and dealing with debt.

    If you need more comprehensive support, their floating support service could be right for you (see Floating support section below)

    Find out more on their website

  • St Basils and P3 - Floating support services provided in your own home

    Warwickshire County Council fund services to improve the quality of people’s lives, by promoting independent living and encouraging people to build on their existing skills and capabilities.

    These services include a floating support service, where a support worker visits customers in their own homes.

    The floating support service provides short term interventions to:

    • support people to stay in their homes
    • support people to work towards living in their own home
    • prevent homelessness, hospitalisation or institutional care

    The services are delivered by specialist support agencies who work in partnership with the county council.

    Young people aged 16 to 25

    St Basils logo

    The county council work with specialist agency, St Basils, to provide floating support for people aged 16 to 25

    They provide their service across the West Midlands, including Warwickshire and Solihull  - with a slightly different offer in each region.

    You can find out more about the services St Basils provide and self-refer on their website.

    People aged 25 and above

    P3 logo

    If you're over 25, the floating support services are provided by a different specialist agency, P3.

    There can provide a package of support to manage and maintain your accommodation if it is at risk. This service will ensure people receive the right support, at the right time, and in the right place.

    They can also offer a bespoke package of support, centred around you and your life, to tackle the very reasons you are struggling to maintain your home.

    P3's floating support is available to you at home if:

    • You're aged 25 or over (or approaching 25 within the next 6 months)
    • Your accommodation is at risk, you don't feel safe where you currently live or if you are homeless / sleeping rough / sofa surfing
    • You live in Warwickshire

    You can find out more and self-refer on their website.

    If you need support with your referral please call their freephone number: 0808 164 6220

  • Citizens Advice - local, free and impartial advice

    Citizens Advice provide free, independent and impartial advice to help you find a way forward, whatever the problem.

    This includes advice and information on:

    • Benefits
    • Debt and money
    • Housing
    • Health
    • Consumer rights
    • Family rights
    • Legal support

    Their network of charities offers confidential advice online, over the phone, and in person, for free.

    For local support, take a look their website for your area:

    Bedworth, Rugby and Nuneaton:
    North Warwickshire:
    South Warwickshire:

    • They also have a national phone AdviceLine: 0800 144 8848 (you'll be put through to a local adviser if one is free)
    • And a dedicated debt helpline: 0800 240 4420
    • Both helplines are available 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday
  • Support with furniture and items for your home

    The Roundabout charity distributes good quality household furniture and other domestic items to families and individuals on low incomes and in financial need. They cover some areas of Warwickshire – take a look at the map on their website for details.

    To access their service, you’ll need to be referred by a caring organisation, such as us, your GP or Warwickshire County Council.

    Please contact your Housing Officer on 0300 1234 009 for a referral.

National support

Support with housing and energy bills

Online debt and money management tools

Financial support if you have health issues

  • Together - housing support if you're living with mental health issues or physical disabilities

    together logo

    Together for Mental Wellbeing supports people with a variety of needs including mental health issues, learning disabilities, physical disabilities and sensory impairments who are in need of short-term housing related support.

    They offer:

    • Support to budget effectively
    • Support to understand a tenancy
    • Information on resources in the community
    • Support to access work, education and training opportunities
    • One-to-one support to help achieve housing related goals

    Find out more

    For more information, or to refer yourself, please contact the service:

    Website: Warwickshire Housing Related Support (includes a link to the referral form)
    Tel: 02476 796 416

  • Financial support if you're living with cancer - Macmillan Cancer Support

    A cancer diagnosis can change your financial situation. It may mean you need to stop working, or work less. It can also mean spending more money on things like hospital parking. But depending on your situation, you may be able to get benefits or other financial support.

    Find out more about what you could be entitled to on the Macmillan website

Financial support for older people

  • Age UK

    Age UK offer information and advice through a free, confidential national phone service for older people, their families, friends, carers and professionals.

    They can help with:

    • benefits
    • retirement
    • wellbeing
    • money issues.

    Find out more on the Age UK website or call on 0800 678 1602

You may also find the following pages helpful:

If you have any questions, please contact us on 0300 1234 009 and ask to speak to a member of the housing management team.