Rental tenants - Rent changes 2022/23

rent faq

From April 2022, the amount of rent you pay will change.

You'll find lots of frequently asked questions and information about what this means for you below.

If you can't find the answers you need, please get in touch.

  • What is the rent increase for 2022-23?

    How is the rent calculated?

    Our rents are reviewed every year in line with the government's rent setting framework, using an agreed formula, which is the same for all housing associations across England.

    From 2020, the government’s rent framework states that rents can be increased by a measure of inflation called the consumer price index (CPI), taken from the previous September, plus up to 1%.

    The Consumer Price Index (CPI) for September 2021 was 3.1%.

    What is the increase for 2022-23?

    Therefore, in line with government guidelines, the increase applied to your rent for 2022-23 is 4.1%.

    If your home was built after April 2011:

    If your home was built after April 2011, your tenancy may be subject to what we call an “affordable rent”. This is 80% of the market rent, in which case the total rent and service charges combined will increase by 4.1%.

    What is CPI?

    The CPI rate measures changes in the cost of living, such as household goods, food, and transport.

  • How is my rent spent?

    As a profit-for-purpose association, we invest every penny we collect from your rent into providing good quality homes and services.

    This year’s increase will allow us to continue delivering our services and ensure we meet our commitments to invest in your homes for the future, including a comprehensive planned maintenance programme.

  • When will the new charges start?
    • Rent and service charge change letters will be posted mid-February 2022.
    • If you pay monthly, changes will apply from 1 April 2022.
    • If you pay weekly, changes will apply from 4 April 2022.

What do I need to do?

  • What if I don't agree with the new rent charge?

    If you don’t agree with the service charge, please talk to us first and we’ll try to find a way forward.

    If you don't accept the proposed new rent and wish to dispute your rent variation you can appeal to the First Tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) at

    Further details on this process are also included on the above webpage.

  • I pay by direct debit - do I need to do anything?

    NO.  If you pay by direct debit we'll alter this for you and you'll receive notification directly from allpay.  Please check the details contained in the allpay notification are correct.

  • I pay by standing order - do I need to do anything?

    YES. You'll need to contact your bank immediately to vary your payments.

  • I receive Universal Credit - what do I need to do?

    If you’re receiving Universal Credit you must let the Department for Work and Pensions know about this change in rent – to ensure you receive all the benefits you’re entitled to.

    To do this, update your online journal with the new total amount (rent and service charge). You may also receive a ‘To do’ notification in your journal to remind you.

  • I receive Housing Benefit - what do I need to do?

    If you receive Housing Benefit you must notify the Housing Benefit department of your local council about your rent and service charge increase immediately.

    Did you know you can have your housing benefit paid directly to us?

    If you do not receive the full amount to cover all your rent, you'll need to make up the difference by an alternative payment method.

  • When should I pay my rent?

    If you pay your rent weekly:

    Your rent should be paid on Monday for the week ahead.
    If you don't do this, your account will be in debt and we will have to send you warning letters.

    If you pay your rent monthly:

    Your rent should be paid one month in advance. 
    If your account is not one full month in credit, we will write to you and advise you of the amount you need to pay. Please also refer to the above question 'I pay my rent monthly - how has this amount been calculated?' which explains how we calculate your monthly rent.

Service charges

  • What is a service charge?

    A service charge is an amount payable in addition to the rent. This is to cover the costs of services and repairs in shared (communal) areas.

    The exact services you pay for will be set out in your tenancy agreement or lease, but might include:

    • Admin charges
      These are to pay for the administration and management of our service contracts, paying contractors and other bills, and calculating and administering the charges.

    • Cleaning – shared areas
      This covers contractor cleaning fees for internal and external communal areas.

    • Communal electricity
      May appear as ‘B7680 Comm: Electricity’ on your service charge schedule
      This covers the cost of providing electricity in communal areas on your scheme. This may include external lighting in carparks, street lighting (that is not maintained by the local authority) and electricity for sewage pumps.

    • Communal lighting
      May appear as ‘B7632 Maint: Communal Lighting’ on your service charge schedule
      This is the costs of maintaining the internal and external lighting of communal areas.

    • Gardening and grounds maintenance
      May appear as ‘B7650 Comm: Garden Maintenance’ on your service charge schedule
      This is for the gardening and maintenance of communal outside spaces within your scheme. This includes grass cutting, flower beds maintenance, maintaining any green spaces (which are not maintained by the local authority), hedge maintenance and weeding.

    • Management company charges
      May appear as ‘B7681 3rd Party Manag & Admin’ on your service charge schedule
      This is to cover costs where the maintenance and upkeep of the communal areas are managed and administered by a private company on behalf of the landlord.

    • Provision charges
      May appear as ‘B Provisions’ on your service charge schedule
      These charges are to pay for major repairs to communal car parking areas, private roads, pathways and replacing capital items such as door entry systems. This fund also covers items outside of an annual gardening contract such as major tree works.

    • Sewage pump and tank maintenance
      May appear as ‘B7646 Maint: Pump and Tank’ on your service charge schedule
      This covers the servicing and maintenance of sewage pump stations for waste water, if a property isn’t linked to the public sewer system.

    • Servicing and repairing door-entry systems
      The cost of servicing, repairing and replacing door entry systems including keys, entry phones, key cards and automatic doors.

    • Servicing and repairing communal TV aerials   
      This covers the cost of servicing and repairing communal aerial systems.

    • SC Abatement Affordables
      This is the total weekly amount of your service charges that are included in your affordable rent. This will only appear on service charge schedules for customers paying affordable rent (which is different to social rent).

  • How is the service charge calculated?

    The charge is calculated using the previous year’s actual costs, any known or estimated changes in costs for the current year, plus an adjustment for inflation.

    This gives us an overall cost for the scheme, which is divided equally between the customers who receive the services. So, you will only pay for your share of the services you receive.

    You'll receive details of your annual service breakdown with your annual rent letter.

  • What if I don’t agree with the service charge?

    If you don’t agree with the service charge, please talk to us first and we’ll try to find a way forward - email us or call on 0300 1234 009.

    If we are unable to reach an agreement, we would recommend you seek independent advice such as Citizens Advice.

    If you think you're being charged unfairly, you may be able to apply to the First-Tier Tribunal to determine whether you are liable to pay service charges.


  • How do I pay my rent?

    We offer several ways to pay your rent.

    Take a look at our how to pay your rent page.

  • How can I view my rent account?

    You can view your rent account online and update your personal information 24 hours a day, 7 days a week on our customer portal, MyHomeOnline.

    If you haven't already, you can register on MyHomeOnline now.

    Once your details have been verified, we'll email you your registration code so you can login and view your account.

  • What if I'm struggling to pay my rent and service charge?

    We're here to help

    Whether you’re in employment or in receipt of benefit payments, money issues can affect anyone and if you're having difficulties paying your rent, we’re here to help.

    We understand it's a stressful situation, and the longer you leave it the worse the situation will get. We can help you with benefits and discuss how to manage your payments. We can also tell you about agencies who offer free and independent money advice to help you manage your debt.

    What happens if I fall behind on my rent payments?

    We'll do all we can to help and support you manage your rent payments. Find out more about what happens if you think you will fall behind.

    If you're not claiming Universal Credit or Housing Benefits

    You may be entitled to Housing Benefit or Universal Credit to help pay your rent if you're on a low income or claiming welfare benefits. The amount you receive will depend on your income, savings and family circumstances.

    We can offer assistance to complete forms and refer you to the relevant agencies and/or advice centres. However, the responsibility to apply for Housing Benefit or Universal Credit, and to make sure it's being paid, is yours, even when the benefit is being paid direct to us.

    Where else can I get help?

    Take a look at our financial support webpages for further information and advice.

    There are also lots of free services available online and in your community. You’ll find lots of links on our support pages to a range of support agencies, tools and information to help you manage your money and make sure you’re receiving all the benefits you’re entitled to.

    If you can’t find the information you’re looking for on our support pages or need further assistance, please talk to your Housing Officer who can help you get the support you need.

  • Get in touch

    Please get in touch with us, we are happy to help you with any advice and assistance we can regarding benefits and arrangements to pay your rent.

    Have you liked our Facebook page? We post regular updates on financial support and benefits.